GWI Device is GlobalWebIndex's quarterly report looking at the latest trends in smartphones, tablets, smart TVs and wearables. A free summary can be downloaded here.
With CES 2015 underway, we've already seen a host of new product announcements including Super Ultra HD TVs, Connected Cars and Smart Watches to name just a few. GWI Device examines usage of such devices across our 32 surveyed markets, providing important insights into the profiles of the consumers.
Some of the key trends in the report include:
- 80% of online adults now own a smartphone, while almost 50% have a tablet. For both devices,
the figures peak among 25-34s and the top income quartile; regionally, smartphone ownership is
highest in APAC while North America tops the table for tablets.
- Almost all smartphone owners are using them to access the internet – with 75% saying they’ve
gone online via a mobile in the last month. This is a rise from 49% back in 2011. There’s a slightly
bigger gap between ownership and online access for tablets, though, with just 37% going online via
these devices. Nevertheless, they’ve seen the fastest rise of all since 2011 – having grown from 8%.
- Wearable devices are still highly niche: only 9% say they own a smart watch and just 7% report
having a smart wristband. Currently, this is being driven by men, 25-34s, the top income group and
consumers in APAC.
- Mobiles are grabbing a bigger and bigger share of our daily time; on average, internet users now
say they spend 1.85 hours online via a mobile each day, up from 1.24 hours in 2012. The figures
can rise much higher among certain demographics and in particular regions, though, with the daily
average hitting 2.84 hours for 16-24s and 3.05 hours in the Middle East & Africa.
- Gaming apps are the most popular in terms of engagement – but are the only app category where
there are more people downloading (43%) rather than using them (41%) each month, reflecting the
high churn rate in this area and the fact that some gaming apps lie dormant after having been
The full report explores all of the above and more, as well as market specific and regional trends, and can be downloaded from the Insight Store.